Sunday, August 8, 2021

Recap of my semester 6 (3rd year 2nd sem), 75% done of degree, entering into final year...

Hey everyone, Ah Wong is here again. This time, Ah Wong is going to talk about the experience of mine in the previous semester, which is Sem 6 (3rd Year, Sem 2). In this blogpost, it is going to be cover on the time frame within that semester and post-semester (emphasized more on what was special in that semester). Honestly, this is considering a kind of hasty blogpost in the last minutes prior of I start to have my internship.

            As usual of online learning medium, my Sem 6 was totally inherited with the same teaching mode as previous 2 semesters (namely Sem 4 and Sem 5). Hence, it is again same old routine to be at home amid this heightening Covid-19 cases in Malaysia until daily counts of 20k cases. However, what made my 3rd year semester 2 to be slightly outstanding as previous semesters was that we as the penultimate student (now final year student) called to find a mandatory internship placement for our practical semester, 4th year semester 1. Basically, that had sort of aggravated our burden in that semester mainly due to juggling with 2 aspects, which were finding an internship placement, and, of course academics.

            Speaking of finding for internship placement, many of us, the accounting student (I am citing example of accounting students because I, myself is an accounting student) were tend to seek after internships in the big 4, the highly rated, sought after, and 4 biggest in size Audit and Accounting firms. In many of ours thoughts, working in Big 4 is like winning a lottery strike or like a channel to be glamorous people. However, personally now I had none of that feeling already, so long as you get into any mid-size audit firms or big 10 will be fine too. This is because I think so long as we can get to learn from there and score a decent grade for practical semester will be enough already. Moreover, I feel the main reason for them to ‘die-die’ to want to get into big 4 is mostly of getting exposure and networks in those bigger firms in a bid to secure their future full-time job there. In short, basically this actually also the same concept to be apply on each and every of the firms, but different feeling exists when you are working in a relatively bigger firm than the smaller one.

After being long winded on the topic of big 4, let’s talk about the interview session before getting offer letter, in that semester I had been experiencing 2 types of interviews, such as virtual 1 to 1 interview, and digital interview. Well, the digital interview here is meant that the questions are given to the candidates and the candidates need to open camera and record themselves to answer the questions. Besides, it also required the candidates to write for short essays in that session. Such as tedious and challenging type of interview, I bet you guys will know it was from one of the big 4 firms. Yea, big 4 firms were kind of innovative and creative in selecting the right candidates by conducting this kind of selection and filtration. Some of those big 4 firms, even hosted a game to gauge their skill in the relevant subjects such as English, and Mathematics before the proceed with shortlisting the candidates for interview - in the mode of either virtually or phone call. I did not get any news from the majority of big 4 which I had applied for in that semester, but except for the one firm. That time the big firm had sent shortlisted email to me in order to prepare for the digital interview. However, I was sort of have a contradiction in my mind, since that time I had accepted an offer from a big 10 audit firm. Thus, I reluctantly attend for the digital interview, and as expected, that time I utterly talks incoherently and unprepared at all. Nonetheless, at least I took this as an experience to have an exposure on how the digital interview, or known as recorded video interview be like in the future job application.

I recalled I was among one of the earliest to settle internship application, in which I had done everything by the first half of that semester. So, I managed to pay more attention on my academic aspect such as in doing assignments. It was no doubt, basically, the process of doing group assignments in that semester were basically the same as previous semesters, which were mostly the same team members as before. However, I would like to highlight there were some subjects’ assignments asked students to present and teach a topic to all of the students in the class, I meant on the Microsoft Teams, as well as making report for that particular topic. The challenging part of doing this kind of group assignment was to find a relevant and trustful sources on the internet and make it into slides and report respectively. Meanwhile, as for the students, the may and may not easily understand the topics of the presenters too, sometimes. Apart from that, it was also challenging as there will more or less, certainly, would have some deviation in the information given across the different sets of class. For example, ones in set 1 class present topic 1 might be little different or missing some part as compared to the ones in set 2 or set 3 class. In that crucial time, fortunately, lecturers had explained in detail of those topics, and asked students to engage in the discussion. However, as usual, very few students really participate in the discussion mainly attributed to most of them were either shy, or lazy and even reluctant to answer the questions threw by lectures. Hence, some of the subjects that I had took in semester 6 were rather quite challenging in grasping gist of the knowledge as some of the lecturers merely acted as facilitators in conveying knowledge to the students through positive learning method.


This is an example of how the mid terms and finals done online... Now, most of the university has standardize the way of conducting the online examination amid the pandemic

Lastly, I am glad that I had passed through 75% of my university life, the remaining 25% is all on my 4th year, where is consists of internship semester and the final semester. I really did hope my batchmates and I can score flying colours in internship semesters as this semester is free from exams and all we need to do are just working while applying practical knowledge from Accounting and Audit. I couldn’t prospect much anything in the future, but just hope everyone can get what they wished for and wanted for. All the best in this semester (Sem 7). Also, wishing everyone to stay safe and take care of health, be sure to got your vaccination as scheduled in MySejahtera app.

This is considered an end of my random sharing of experience. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment